Top of Blog

Top of Blog
Welcome to BullFrog Springs. I hope you enjoy your time, get a coffee and relax for a minute.







Meal Plans

February 11, 2012

Basic Sandwich Bread - Mother Earth News

I still have  a long way to go when it comes to bread, but my plan is to stop buying it from the store. This is the first recipe where it did work well.

3 1/2 unbleached white flour
1 tbsp soften butter
1 egg beaten, I use my chicken eggs, nutrition value higher
1 tsp Salt use the full amount. I didn't the first time and it made a big difference
2 1/4 tsp dried yeast
1 1/4 cups milk at room temperature

1 egg, beaten and thinned with water. I tried it will milk too.

Note:If you rehdrating yeast with water, subtract the amount of water you added to the yeast from the milk.

Put flour in a mixing bowl, add soften butter. Use your fingers to work the butter into the flour until no large pieces remain. Add egg, salt and yeast. I use my fingers to give it a quick stir. Then add milk to form a dough. I use my kitchen aid, until raggedy and rough.

Turn your mixer on and knead for a few minutes. You don't have to knead long just until it comes together.
Place in a clean, lightly buttered bowl. I leave it in my kitchen aid and cover with a big plastic bag and I don't butter, but you should. Leave until it doubles in bulk/size about an hour- 1 1/2 hours. After it has doubled turn on a flour board. Gently press out the gas and form dough into a rectangle to fit buttered pan, and let rise until nearly doubled. About 30 -60 minutes. Brush the top with egg or milk and bake at 375 degrees until golden, about 45- 1 hour. Remove and turn out of tin. Let cool, if you can and sit on its side for 3 hours or cut and eat hot. Whatever works, hot bread and butter is the best in the world.

                                              Good luck and let me know how it goes for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment